PARKER:It is the evening of our first day in China. The Goodwins and I spend it by relaxing at the Great Wall Hotel and going to one of the restaurants for supper. It's a beautiful restaurant called the Fan, and we have just ordered our meal.
I am rather an old-fashioned man myself and have pictured in my mind a country much more traditional than the elegant new surroundings of the hotel. however, at the retaurant I suddenly come to realize that I am in China after all.
(這是我們在中國第一天的晚上,GOODWIN夫婦和我在長城酒店放松,我們來到酒店里的一個餐廳吃晚餐,是個很漂亮的餐廳叫FAN,我們已經點好我們的菜。
我是非常守舊的人,在我的畫面里中國應該是非常傳統的而不是像我們酒店周圍漂亮的新建筑,在餐廳里我突然意識到我確實在中國)
GOODWIN:This retaurant has a traditional design.It represents one China. Tomorrow, when we go to meet Li Wei, you'll see another one. Both of them are China. It's a very complex society, very interesting. in time I'll take you to the Peking Opera, and We'll visit the Great Wall and the Palace Museum... But tomorrow you'll see the new China. This country knows how to drive a hard bargain. David. You'll have to be on your tones.
(這個餐廳是傳統的中國式設計,這是中國的一面,明天,我們去見李薇時,你將看到中國的另一面,這就是中國,是個非常復雜的社會,非常有趣,我將帶你去看京劇,我們將參觀長城和故宮,,,但是明天你將看到新的中國。這個國家知道如何極力討價還價,大衛,你得留心哦)
PARKER:You're positively frightening,John.
(約翰,你真嚇著我了)
GOODWIN:That's why I've brought you with me. David. because I know how good you are in tought situations. I appreciate the way you worked in London. It was because of you that we landed the contract.
(這就是我帶你來的原因,大衛,因為我知道你在困難局面下非常優秀,我欣賞你在倫敦的表現,就是因為你我們才拿下那個合同)
PARKER:It's kind of you to say that.
(謝謝 你那么認可我)
GOODWIN: I know you'll be right behind me when I need you. if I fall, I know you'll pick me up, and if I step aside, I know you'll come forward with facts and figures.
(我知道當我需要你的時候你就會支持我,如果我失誤,我知道你會給我救場,如果我躲到一邊,我知道你就會挺身而出用事實和數據說話)
PARKER:You're talking this one very seriously.
(你這么嚴肅的談論這個)
GOODWIN:I don't want to go home and face those Board members who told me it was foolish to come in the first place. I know what I'm doing. David. I know we can sign this contract, even though the others have failed, International swimwears, for example.
(我不想回去和面對那些告訴我說到這來是愚蠢的那些懂事,我知道我在做什么,大衛,我知道我們能簽下合同,盡管別人失敗了,國際泳裝就失敗了。)
PARKER: The big boys.
(那個大公司)
GOODWIN; The big boys.They went home with empty pockets .But I know what I'm doing. I've done business with Li Wei before; We can understand each other. We know and mutually respect each other. We both want to sign a contract, but both of us know we've go to make some concessions to do it.
(這個大公司,他們是空手而歸的,但是我知道我將做什么,我和李薇做個生意,我們能互相理解,我們懂得彼此尊重,我們雙方都想達成合同,我們雙方都知道彼此讓步來達到目的。)
PARKER:John.
(約翰)
GOODWIN: What's the matter?
(怎么了?)
PARKER: Don't turn around Just keep eating.
(別回頭,低頭吃飯)
EMILY.You look as if you'd seen a ghost. David.
(大衛,你看見鬼了)
PARKER:I have, He just walked into the room. Now he's sitting at the far end of it.
(是的,他剛剛進來,現在坐在最后面)
EMILY. Who it is, David?
(他是誰? 大衛)
PARKER:Sammy Tyler.I though I'd seen him at the airport,But--
(SAMMY TYLER,我想我曾經在機場看到他,但是--)
EMILY:Who's Sammy Tyler?
(誰是SAMMY TYLER?)
GOODWIN:A broker, Emily. We lost a contract in Berlin because of him. He came in at the last moment with an offer from some unknown company in Brazil, And the Germans refused to sign with us.
(一個中間商,艾米麗,我們在柏林就是他讓我丟了合同,他最后闖進來拿著巴西的無名公司的報價,這樣德國人拒絕和我們簽合同)
EMILY. Is he a crook?
(他是個騙子?)
PARKER:No. Maybe a little unscrupulous.
(不是,只是不折手段。)
EMILY. Oh dear! I had hoped this would be a pleasure meal.
(哦我的天,我原以為這是我們愉快的晚餐)
GOODWIN:I'm not afraid of Sammy Tyler. He's not going to spoil my meal.
(我不擔憂SAMMY TYLER,他不會影響我的食欲)
PARKER: But whatever to you suppose he's doing here?
(但是無論如何你想想他來這兒干啥?)
GOODWIN: Try to find out tomorrow, will you, David?
(大衛,明天查查 好嗎?)
PARKER: I'll try.
(我試試看)
Dialogue:In a Restaurant
(在餐廳)
SARAH: I think we'll start with eggs.
(我想我們先要一些雞蛋)
WAITER: Sorry, Miss. They're finished.
(對不起,女士,賣完了)
SARAH: Oh dear! Let's have fried rice then.
(哦,那我們來些炒飯吧)
WAITER:Sorry, Miss, That's finished too.
(對不起,女士,也賣完了)
SARAH: I'll have to look at the menu again then. I think we'll have the roast chicken.
(我得再看看菜單了,我想我們要個烤雞吧)
WAITNER: I'm very sorry. Miss. There's none of that either.
(對不起,女士,也沒有了)
SARAH: This is ridiculous! Have you got anything?
(真荒謬,你到底有什么?)
WAINTER: No, Miss. We're closed.
(什么也沒有,女士,我們關門了)