PARKER:It is our second day in Beijing,We're still trying to overcome a mild case of jet-lag by resting in our rooms at the Great Wall Hotel. Our Chinese hosts have been very thoughtful. They have given us time to adjust to our new location and time-zone. Around ten in the morning I call the Goodwins, and they invite me to their room for a cup of coffee.
(這是我們在北京的第二天,我們仍然試圖通過在長城酒店房間里休閑來克服輕度的時差,我們中方的主人想的非常周到,給我們時間適應新的地方和時區,大概上午10點鐘,我給GOOWIN打電話,他們讓我到他們房間喝咖啡)
Sugar and cream. Please. Thank you.
(請加糖和奶油,謝謝)
GOODWIN: You're welcome. Did you sleep well last night?
(不客氣,昨晚睡的好嗎?)
PARKER: Yes. I think I've come round to China time now.What about you?
(是的,我想現在我已經適合中國時間了,你如何?)
GOODWIN:At mightnight I called Vancouver and talked for about an hour with George. Afterward, I showered and went to bed and slept like a log.
(半夜我給溫哥華打電話和喬治談一個小時,后來,洗個澡就上床睡得像個木頭)
(Telephone rings) I wonder who that could be.
(能是誰的電話)
(Picks up phone) Hello? This is John Goodwin.
(嗨?這是約翰.GOODWIN)
LI: (Telephone voice)Good morning, Mr. Goodwin. This is Li Wei. Am I calling you too early?
(早上好,GOODWIN先生。這里是李薇,我是不是電話打得太早了?)
GOODWIN:No.no, Not at all. David Parker is here, We're just having a cup of coffee.
(不,沒有,根本沒有,大衛.PARKER也在這兒,我們正在喝咖啡。)
LI. I trust you've had a good rest?
(我想你們一定休息的很好吧?)
GOODWIN:Yes. thanks you. This is a very good hotel. I think they understand how difficult it is for a foreign traveller to get over jet lag.
(是的,謝謝,這個酒店非常好,他們理解外國旅客克服時差的困難。)
LI:That's good. Now, I wonder if you've made any plans for tonight.
(很好,哪,你們今晚有什么計劃嗎?)
GOODWIN:No. We're at your disposal.
(沒有,我們聽從你的安排)
LI.Then I'd like to hold a dinner in your honour.What about seven o'clock at Hongbinlou? is that a convenient hours?
(那么我想辦個宴會為您接風洗塵。七點在鴻賓樓如何? 這個時間方便嗎?)
GOODWIN: Yes. well. that's very kind of you. We'd be delighted to come.
(方便,哦,你真好,我們非常高興前往。)
LI:You'll meet some rather important people.Mr.Su, for Example. He is the vice president of China National Textiles Import and Export Corporation.
(你將見到一些非常重要的人物,例如蘇先生,他是中國紡織進出口公司的付總經理。)
GOODWIN:Did you say Mr.Su? Well, I'm sure he's the very person Emily would like to meet. Madam Li. it's awfully thoughtful of you to do this.
(你是說蘇先生?噢!我確認他就是艾米麗想見的那個人,李女士,你想的真周到)
LI.Not at all. Mr. Yu. will be at the hotel at six to pick you up.
(太客氣了,于先生六點到酒店來接您)
GOODWIN:That'll be fine. Shall we wait at the door?
(好的,我們在大門等著嗎?)
LI.Oh,no. He'll give you a ring when he arrives.
(哦,不用,他到的時候會給你打電話)
GOODWIN:I'll tell my wife and Mr. Parker. I do look forwards to seeing you this evening.
(我將告訴我妻子和PARKER. 我非常期待今晚見到你)
LI.So do I. Will you also give my best regards to Mrs.Goodwin and Mr. Parker?
(我也是,請帶我想GOODWIN女士 和PARKER先生問好)
GOODWIN:Yes. I will.
(好的,我會的)
LI:Well,Then, I'll say good bye.
(那么,我們再見)
GOODWIN: Good bye,Madam Li.
(再見 李女士)
DIALOGUE: The Problems of a salesman
(對話:外銷員的難處)
CHAIRMAN: Welcome back, Mr. Brown.
(布朗,歡迎回來)
BROWN: Thank you, Sir.
(謝謝,先生)
CHAIRMAN:Well, what's the news? have you signed a nice fat contract for us?
(好吧,有什么消息?你給我們簽了個大合同嗎?)
BRWON: I'm afraid not, Sir.
(沒有,先生)
CHAIRMAN:What! You don't mean to say that you've come back empty-handed?
(什么?你不是想說你空手而歸吧?)
BRWON: Yes. Sir.
(是的,先生)
CHAIRMAN: Well don't just stand there man. Explain yourself.
(那別只是站在哪兒,解釋一下)
BROWN: I just couldn't sign a contract. Apex Swinwears offered a much lower prices, so they got the contract.
(我不能簽合同,因為頂尖泳裝報了最低的價格,所以,他們拿下了這個合同)
CHAIRMAN: This is very serious. You know. We spent a lot of money sending you to China and now you come back with nothing.
(這是個很嚴肅的問題,你知道,我們花了很多錢派你去中國,可你現在卻空手而歸)
BROWN: I'm sorry, Sir. I'll try and do better next time
(對不起 先生,下次我一定做好)
CHAIRMAN: There may not be a next time.
(恐怕沒有下一次了)